Monday 18 April 2016

Egele, the Eyes of the Star - a Poem

This love poem will leave you smiling after reading it as the sweet words will cuddle your body making you yearn for more.
 
Egele, the Eyes of the Star - a Poem
 
Egele nwaoma,
The simplicity of your words
Are the dreams 
I wish to ride on tonight
The sweetness of your laugh
Is like the aroma of ofe ugu
It drags my tongue out from its room
Making my heart thump like udu
Forcing me to salivate like Ekemma
That village beauty whose prettiness
Made men of Ibeku mad
And caused jeers and envy
To the hearts of all other maidens
Your beauty was a rare possession
It was you who gave me eyes to see
As you poured your love on me like rain
 
I want to become
That which I am not
By merely looking at the decoration 
On your darling face
The ease at which you disarm me
Tempts me to ask 
Of your onye dibia
At the resurrection of the day
I want to be the one
On whose ears you will whistle
I want you like a burning love
 
Nwanyioma, you are the dream 
Every man wants to dream
You thrill my soul with your majesty
Like a green plant blossoming near a river
You are fresh like the new moon
Come to my heart and sleep here
In this space of royalty reserved for kings
Please, come and inhabit my heart
For I see my future in you.
 
(Egele nwaoma - name of a pretty woman.
Onye dibia - traditional herbalist.
Ofe Ugu - a local delicacy prepared using vegetable leaf.
Udu - a local vessel or idiophone of the Igbo people used to produce sound.
Ibeku - Ibeku are a clan of the Igbo people of Nigeria)
 
- written by Alexander Thandi Ubani
Send feedback to: thandiubani@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment